In this section
* This is a general overview of the Physical Abilities Requirement Evaluation (PARE) test. Specific instruction(s) for each station will be provided to participants by test administrators.
The PARE test is divided into three stations – an obstacle course; a push and pull station; and a weight carry station. The first two stations are timed, while the third station is a pass or fail activity that is not timed.
Station 1 - Obstacle Course
This 340-metre (1,116 foot) course involves running six (6) laps of the station with directional changes, jumps, stairs, hurdles, vaults, as well a controlled fall at the end of each lap.
Potential penalties at this station
Participants incur time penalties if they:
- do not fully clear the mat (5 seconds)
- knock down/improperly jump over the hurdle (2 seconds)
Participants will be required to redo a portion of the test if they:
- fail to go around a marker/cone
- do not land in a controlled manner after the vault
- use the vault to lower themselves to the mat
- use the mat or the vault to raise themselves after the controlled fall
- improperly perform a controlled fall
The test will be terminated if a participant:
- cannot go over the vault
- does not follow the administrator's instructions on how to run up and down the stairs
Once this station has been completed, the participant immediately proceeds to the next station, the push/pull machine.
Station 2 – Push/ Pull Machine
This station requires participants to perform two separate tasks on a push/pull machine. The first requires individuals to lift and push a 32‑kilogram (70 pound) weight off the base of the machine while performing six 180‑degree arcs.
The second requires individuals to lift and pull a 32‑kilogram (70 pound) weight off the base of the machine while performing six (6) 180‑degree arcs.
Four (4) controlled falls (two (2) forwards and two (2) backwards) must be performed in between each task.
Potential penalties at this station
Participants will be required to redo an arc if they:
- drop the weight in the middle of an arc
- do not complete a full 180-degree arc
- push off the wall
- lock or brace their elbows during the push activity
- do not use the proper pull position
Participants will be asked to redo the task if they:
- do not use the proper controlled fall technique
- are not properly positioned during the standing ‘ready' position
- do not tap the handle between falls
- use assistance to get up or down between falls
With the exception of dropping the weight or not completing an arc, participants will be allowed one (1) warning before being penalized and asked to redo the task.
Once this station has been completed, the PARE administrator stops the stopwatch and records the time. The timed portion of the PARE is over.
Station 3 - Weight Carry
Individuals must start this activity within two (2) minutes of completing the push/pull station.
This station requires individuals to lift and carry a 36-kilogram (80 pound) bag over a 15 metre (50 foot) distance. This station is not timed as it is a pass or fail activity.
Participants are allowed to wrap their arms around the bag or grasp the excess material to lift the bag.
The bag must be carried in a controlled manner in front of the participant, not over one's shoulders or resting on one's thighs while walking.
After the participant has completed the 15 metre (50 foot) distance, they must lower the bag in a controlled manner.
Potential penalties for this station
Participants will be asked to repeat the task if they:
- are unable to lift the bag
- drop the bag during the carry
- do not carry the bag properly
- do not lower the bag properly at the end of the carry
Participants will be given a maximum of three attempts to complete this station. If they are unable to do so, they will fail the PARE.
Once the participant has completed the weight carry station, the PARE test is over.
- Date modified: