There are different types of risk assessment notices that may be issued.
The CBSA system will send "Do Not Load"; "Do Not Unload"; "Hold" and "Cancellation" messages to the relevant parties via the same EDI route as the incoming transmission. These messages will reference the cargo control number, supplementary reference number, container number, and conveyance reference number, as applicable.
The following chart illustrates the types of messages, the conditions of the message, the parties who will receive the message, and the timeframes for issuance of the risk assessment message.
|Message||Conditions - when issued||Sent to
|Do Not Load||More information is required to complete the security risk assessment process;||Y||N||Y*||Within 24 hours of receipt of the Cargo Report or in those cases where the supplementary data indicator is "Y", within 24 hours of the EDTL|
|To advise the carrier to await instructions from foreign Customs administrations; and||Y||N||N||Within 24 hours of receipt of the Cargo Report or in those cases where the supplementary data indicator is "Y", within 24 hours of the EDTL|
|CBSA determines the shipment cannot be loaded onto any vessel bound for Canada.||Y||Y+||N||Within 24 hours of receipt of the Cargo Report or in those cases where the supplementary data indicator is "Y", within 24 hours of the EDTL|
|Do Not Unload||CBSA determines that the cargo cannot be unloaded in Canada||Y||Y||N||Subsequent to the cargo being loaded onto the vessel in the foreign port|
|Hold||More information is required to complete the contraband, health and safety risk assessment process; and||Y||N||Y*||Anytime before arrival of the vessel based on the ETA|
|CBSA wishes to examine the shipment at the First Point of Arrival.||Y||N||N||Anytime before arrival of the vessel based on the ETA|
|Cancellation Messages||To advise that the previous "Do Not Load", "Do Not Unload" or "Hold" notice is cancelled||Cancellation messages will be sent to the recipient(s) of the "Do Not Load", "Do Not Unload", or "Hold" message||Any time subsequent to the issuance of the "Do Not Load", "Do Not Unload", or "Hold" message|
- CC - Carrier who transmitted the Cargo Report
- TC - Carrier who transmitted the Conveyance Report
- FF - Freight forwarder
- EDTL - Estimated Date and Time of Loading
- ETA - Estimated Time of Arrival
- Y* - notices will be sent to the freight forwarder in those cases where the freight forwarder transmitted the Supplementary Cargo Report either directly or through a service provider
- Y+ - the TC will be notified either by fax or telephone unless the Conveyance Report has been transmitted. The CBSA cannot transmit an EDI message without an electronic record, in this case the Conveyance Report.
- Date modified: