C47 – Application for Vessel Temporary Admission to the Coasting Trade of Canada

A link to the Portable Document Format (PDF) of this form is provided below. The content of the form is duplicated in HTML following the PDF link.

PDF (1.9 Mb) [help with PDF files]

Pursuant to the Coasting Trade Act, December 1, 1992, and P.C. 1990-939 Vessel Duties Reduction or Removal Regulations

Questions concerning the customs process should be directed to:

Canada Border Border Services
Commercial Registration Unit
191 Laurier Ave. W., 12th Floor
Ottawa ON K1A 0L8
Fax: (613) 946-0242
E-mail: coastingtrade-cabotage@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca

Questions concerning the Canadian Transportation Agency's process should be directed to:

Canadian Transportation Agency
Insurance and Marine Determinations Division
15 Eddy Street
Gatineau QC K1A 0N9
Telephone: (819) 997-8354
Fax: (819) 934-0631
E-mail: maritime@cta-otc.gc.ca
website: www.otc-cta.gc.ca

Please provide the following details and attach your summary of the request for vessel temporary importation (print or type).

Characteristics of vessel

Complete description of the proposed engagement/operation

  1. Geographical location(s) including origin, destination, and all points/ports to be served
  2. Details of cargo (including tonnage) or other marine activity
  3. Number of passengers (excursion)
  4. Special characteristics or requirements
  5. CBSA office of importation
  6. CBSA office of accounting
  7. Period for which permission is required (maximum 12 months)
  8. Starting date
  9. Completion date

Details of the Canadian applicant/broker/agent

Guidelines for Completing an Application for Vessel Temporary Admission to the Coasting Trade of Canada Pursuant to the Coasting

All vessels entering Canada, including Canadian vessels are subject to the provisions of the Customs Tariff. In addition, foreign and non-duty paid vessels are subject to restrictions contained in the Coasting Trade Act. The Act reserves the coasting trade to Canadian ships and extends the jurisdiction of the coasting trade laws to include offshore development on the Canadian continental shelf. It also includes all commercial marine activities in addition to the carriage of passengers or goods. Foreign or non-duty paid vessels may temporarily enter the coasting trade on payment of duty, where it can be established that no suitable Canadian ship is available for a particular movement or service.

Coasting Trade Licence Request

1. Requests for vessel temporary importation must be made by a person resident in Canada. Applications are to be sent to both the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). The appropriate addresses and fax numbers are indicated on the application form.

2. A covering letter should accompany the application for temporary importation setting out, in summary form, the intent of the request.

3. Application for a coasting trade licence should be made using Form C47, Application For Vessel Temporary Admission to the Coasting Trade of Canada, as far in advance as possible before the projected date of use of the vessel. This will allow reasonable time for completion of a proper search to determine whether a suitable Canadian vessel is, or can be, available for the work for which a vessel temporary importation is sought. Processing time may increase depending on the circumstances associated with the request.

Note: The Coasting Trade Act permits the CTA to request any such information and documentation as it deems necessary.

4. The application should include:

5. The application should also indicate the period for which permission is required (maximum 12 months), the starting date, completion date, and details of the applicant, broker, agent, or contact person in Canada.

6. The CBSA office of importation is where the vessel is reported to customs and where all documents are presented for verification or scrutiny.

7. The CBSA office of accounting is where duties and taxes will be paid, or accounted for.

8. The determination of availability and suitability of a Canadian vessel is made by the CTA. The CTA subsequently confirms this determination in writing to the Minister of Public Safety. The actual granting of the coasting trade licence is done by the Canada Border Services Agency on behalf of the Minister of Public Safety.

9. However, before the applicant may commence the operations as set out in the letter of authorization issued by the CBSA Commercial Registration Unit, Commercial and Trade Operations Division, the applicant must obtain the actual coasting trade licence.

10. To obtain the coasting trade licence, the applicant will be required to present to the CBSA office specified in the application and named in the letter of authorization, the following:

Date modified: